Saturday, June 7, 2008

And now we move our support..

And down she goes.
With elegance, eloquence and grace.

Behind her fine speech comes an unleashing of extraordinary anti-Clinton spite in the excited masses of online feedback. I have just been reading it on site after site after site. The non-Clinton supporters have no inch to give, no grace in their spirit and, as I have always maintained, they are more a product of the right wing marketing machine than they will ever know. But they are happy. For the moment. They are milking their venom glands and feeling some relief.

My heart goes out to Hillary and my concern goes out for the US and the world - for the race is just begun and, even though McCain ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer, he will prove formidable against Obama.

A chunk of me has long wished that, somehow, Bill Richardson could have stayed in the race.
Albeit he was Latino, he did not attract the media favour or the gushing cult enthusiasm of the handsome young Obama - but he was the more solid, talented, wise and able by a long shot. He was prime presidential material. He could have stood his ground against McCain.

We will have an interesting time watching how the GOP now changes its media slant on Obama. We will have an interesting time watching the ingenuous new political breed cope with it all. We will hope that, somewhere behind the sophistry, Obama has the true grit.
He certainly writes a nice book, albiet that he writes a great deal about the issue of being black. And, if he becomes president, the important factor will be that he is a black president. That fulfils his promise of "change". And, has he has just said, if perchance he wants to do something about health care, Hillary Clinton had a good policy and may be worth listening to.

As for Michelle Obama, I have yet to find hope. I can only see the most divisive woman yet to arrive in politics - protected by the racist card. The racist card says that blacks are rightful to have a hate agenda against whites but that whites are racist if they criticise blacks.
Interesting to see a book by Shelby Steele A Bound Man: Why We're Excited About Barack Obama and Why He Can't Win, rushed through to cover this issue. Noel Pearson reviewed it for Online Monthly. This is really worth a read, dealing as it does with the phenomenon of white guilt and the moral high ground African Americans perceive therein.

We have the white hate church and the white hate preacher - who has refused to step down. The Obamas say, at the 11th hour, under immense pressure, that they have left that church and its militant ideology. Huh? Who is looking at the politics of that change of, um, policy? Um, is this consistent, loyal, honest...? Didn't Obama say that Reverend Jeremiah Wright was his "mentor"?
Oh, we won't look at it now. It is not an issue in the campaign. Let it flow through to the keeper. It was always more important to dislodge Hillary.

Nonetheless, they are raving ranting religious zealots from a hate church.

My reservations about Obama are not going to go away easily. He will have a lot of proving to do for me. Michelle Obama more so.

He was the one and only Democratic candidate with whom I did not make the effort to shake hands. He was the one and only Democratic candidate from whose appearance I chose going for a coffee over staying around afterwards. I left plain disappointed with him. Hence the consistency of my stance here in the blog.

I was there in the room with him. I listened. I watched. I arrived full of hope.
At that time I had not committed to Hillary. I could just as easily have been on his team - until I sat there and listened and felt the emptiness of his rhetoric.

Now, of course, I will now do the right Democratic thing - I will support him utterly against McCain.
And pray that all my misgivings are misplaced.

3 comments:

Island Woman MJ said...

Ouch. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I bet his staff has resigned en masse after reading of your doubts.

Give me a great big break. Your idol (to her credit) admits she lied repeatedly and trashed the process.

Do me a favor and vote McCain. He needs all the friends he can get.

Anonymous said...

..With elegance, eloquence and grace...A little late but

Samela, I think you don't really understand why so many Democrats and Independents dislike Hillary. We are not all dumb Americans watching FoxNews and going where they lead us.

The vast left wing conspiracy never forgave Hillary for supporting the war. She supported it only to help her in the primaries as part of her move to the middle. That obviously was a huge misjudgment.

Many of us just had enough of Bill Clinton. His years may have been prosperous but how many times can anyone watch Bill Clinton lie and wag his finger at us. His lack of action after the World Trade Center bombing contributed to 9/11 and that's a hard one to forgive.
Using him during the early part of the campaign and not keeping a short leash on him was another misjudgment.

I won't even go in to Hillary's exaggerations or lies during the campaign.

My hope is that she will not be put on the ticket and that the 20 years reign of Bush/Clinton/Bush ends.

McCain sounds and smells too much like Bush for me. So I think I will be voting Democratic in the general election. Richardson would be a great VP in my opinion.

happy trails,

btw 100 degrees today in Nashua,

Steve