Monday, May 26, 2008

Shy McCain

It is a bit offputting to read that John McCain's fundraising events are closed to the press.
Why, I wonder?
What don't they want us to know?

The big thing I wish the media would "out" McCain for is his dependence on teleprompters.
I was scandalised when I saw him speak in Manchester, NH, straight from a teleprompter which had been hauled out and set up in the middle of a public park for him. Gobsmacked is probably not an understatement for my shock. I was under the impression that, especially when it came to their own stump speeches, politicians knew the script.
Hillary certainly did. Obama did. Giuliani did. Bill Richardson did...
But there was old McCain, "Mr Experience", showing that he was not au fait with his own lines.
And, I gather, not a lot has changed.
I have watched the eye movement in the crowds as he gives his addresses and, yes, they seem to be moving from specific focal points...
No spontaneity.
Indeed, spontaneity seems to be his downfall.
The YouTube clips which are the big hit of the moment prove that to be so. He does, he does not know about the economy. He does not know what he knows, it seems.
Which is why he has to read it all nicely written down.

Oh, deary me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

G'yday it's the artist formerly known as huey.
as to the closed to press problem here's my take,
Of course their closed to the press , the readers of the world need to be saved from a host yelling to the blue rinse set "ok ladies if you make it ten thousand you all get a lap dance from the candidate" but seriously by closing the room to prying eyes the candidate remains with a pinch of plausible deniability next time he is accused of some haneous association being financially behind him.any way i'm late for my obama pops out of a cake i bought at the last fundraiser so ooroo from the apple.