Thursday, May 17, 2007

Songs of praise and mutters of dissent


The hunt is on for a Hillary song.
I've noticed the prominence of music at all the candidates' major events - not always liking what I heard. In the Hillary case, it would seem to be because the campaign theme song has yet to be chosen.
Now, as the action revs up, the time has come.
It's tricker than one may think. One needs something that falls between familiar popular song and an anthem. Something that creates the right mood and delivers the right message. And, bloody hell, it turns out to be a can of worms - or so I am thinking now I have listened to the selection thus far chosen for the Hillary Clinton campaign. The campaign has asked us all to vote and, if we don't like the choices, to suggest something else.
One by one, I eliminated the nine proposed songs - one was too dirge-like, one sounded like a lesbian love song, one did not sound positive enough, one sounded too girlie...
So, if I don't like them, I have to think of something else. OK. So I have surfed around and listened to things I thought would be good options and, guess what, none of my ideas is perfect either!
I'll just have to wait and see what other supporters come up with.

Meanwhile, we await the forthcoming Democrat Debate in New Hampshire. It is being hosted by CNN and the Union Leader newspaper in Manchester - rather a good paper, I have noted, with a terrific web presence. Getting hold of tickets to the debate is not easy. They are very strictly rationed and one has to apply by email, giving personal details which include date of birth. Then one has to wait to see if one is accepted. This makes me very tense indeed.

Methinks New Hampshire also is getting a bit tense. The other US states are doing their best to close in and undermine its first primary status. We've had the date changes from the other states with Florida pushing hard to turn the presidential candidate campaign into a rush, to squeeze up those dates and force New Hampshire back into 2007. Now we have Associated Press (the Australian version of which I once worked for) and its analysis of the America census statistics to show that NH is not the perfect archetypal American state. It does not have a "national average" demographic. AP says that Illinois is the average state. It also is a huge state. Too intensely populated for the sort of hands-on intensity of the NH political activity.
The criticism of NH is that it does not have the diversity of population, the percentage of blacks. But what it does have is a political tradition and a population geared to undertake the responsibility of scrutinising each and every candidate as a state mission and a national obligation. Of course this is not average!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about:

Hillary! Hillary! Hillary! OI! OI! OI!

Samela said...

Thanks, Geoff. That's my laugh of the day!

Unknown said...

Hillary Hillary Dock
The mouse ran up the clock
The clock struck one
The mouse ran down
Hillary Hillary Dock

Anonymous said...

i'm hillary the first , no man
Hillary the first I am , no man

...

thanks to herman's hermits

?

Reed Hedges said...

Hi Samela, I don't know if I fully agree with you about the Union Leader, I have mixed feelings. I read the Concord Monitor more than the UL, for its coverage of state politics, plus my local town paper. At least the UL is much more upfront and honest about it's political stance (Republican) than a lot of other papers, and it takes editorial and opinion seriously -- both columnists and letters to the editor -- which is great.

Reed